Tuesday, November 27, 2007

*Middle East in a Sandwich*

*
Hmmmmm, what's cooking? As far as I still don't know what I would like to eat today, last night I killed another of my cravings. And cravings are an evil thing... like temptation. The only way to get rid of one is giving in to it and indulging.
.
So I had this big eggplant in the fridge that needed use. Urgently. And some frozen chick peas. I had already tried out the Tuna patty recipe previously, but I decided to use cracked wheat this time to give it a Middle Eastern twist. Obviously it turned out into a tuna kibbeh patty. The Mister loved it. Ok, He likes anything that involves Babaganoush and Tuna.
.
I guess I'm not feeling very eloquent today. So maybe I'll bake some muffins later on. Baking always warms the heart. And if it doesn't, cupcakes do.
.
Tuna Patty, adapted from Recipezaar.

1 can tuna, drained
1 egg
1 onion minced
2 cloves garlic minced
salt to taste
pepper to taste
chopped mint to taste
sesame seeds to taste
4 tablespoons cracked wheat (after soaking for an hour and draining)

mix all ingredients well
form two patties, and fry in heated skillet in olive oil.

Babaganoush

1 large eggplant
1 tbspoon tahine
salt to taste
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
parsley or mint, to taste
olive oil (I forgot to add it, and it still tasted great)

Hold the eggplant directly over the flame. Let the peel burn so it will taste smoked (or you can use a grill). Remove the skin under running water. In food processor, mix all ingredients until you have a smooth paste. Garnish with mint leafs and serve cold.

Salad:

Horseradish, raw onions, tomatoes, mint leafs, and chick peas in a dressing made with 1/2 skimmed yogurt, 1/4 light milk cream and 1/4 mayonnaise with lemon juice. It was light and refreshing and gave the tuna sandwiches, along with some romaine and iceberg lettuce the perfect crunch.
*

No comments: