Tuesday, February 12, 2008

*mother knows best... and chicken soup for the soul*

*
Oh boy, mothers always know best.
.
Chatting to my mother this morning and while nagging about how poorly I felt, she told me to chew on some papaya seeds. Well, I had eaten some papaya with yogurt because that is supposed to be really healthy and good on the stomach but the seeds are so bitter they are something I usually just swallow or don't eat at all.
.
So I ate a spoonful a couple hours ago. And I'm feeling a little better already.

.
Or was it the soup?
.
Because every time I'm feeling sick or down all I need is a nice bowl of Chicken Soup and then things start looking up.

Chicken Soup for the Soul

150 grs chicken breast
2 medium carrots - minced
2 medium potatoes - minced
2 medium onions - minced
4 roma tomatoes - chopped
2 cloves garlic - chopped (or more if you prefer)
oregano to taste
salt to taste
a pinch of sugar (to break down the acid in the tomatoes)
1 cube of chicken stock
a couple handfuls of alphabet noodles

Chop the chicken breast into small bite pieces. Sauté with a little olive oil and the garlic and onions. Add the chicken stock (I grew up to the cube type so I prefer to use it), and cover with a little more than a liter of water. Let it boil for about 30 minutes, then add the other vegetables and wait another 20 minutes. Add the noodles in the final 6 minutes of boiling. Spice to taste and serve with a twist of lime.

Makes 4 medium servings or 6 small ones.


.
When I make the soup to treat colds or fevers I usually add pepper to taste or/and ginger. Since my stomach is ill I decided to go lighter on the flavor, so it's just pure comfort.
.
Also, its my soup so there MUST be alphabet pasta. Sounds silly, but I just love the child-like feel it gives and how much it makes my soup look like my moms. Comforting.
*

*
Anyway, soon enough I'll be back to cooking lots of interesting and spicy foods. Yay!
*

No comments: