Saturday, December 15, 2007

*"escondidinho"*

*
So what do you do after you spend 3 hours in the kitchen to prepare dinner? You blog about it, of course.
.
No, I did not prepare some super elaborate dinner. Actually, it was a one dish meal, with a side salad. Yeah, 3 hours.
.
But they were worth it. And so was the mess the preparation involved.
.
So by now you must be wondering "what the hell?". I had been wanting to try this recipe for months already, and just never got around to it. I had the cassava, and was in the mood to cook. So why not?
.
Its called "escondindinho". You could also call it "Cassava Goo". It's super duper ultra gooey. But maybe its something to do with the cassava.
.
Which I had NO idea took so long to cook. One hour, and the damn thing wasn't soft. So I decided to go for the food processor, because it was clearly cooked.
.
So i mixed the cooked cassava with some milk cream, milk, salt and butter. When I finally had a puree (I'll never buy the cassava at that place again. It was strange, although it tasted fine), I put in a baking pan, and covered with a sautéed mixture of canned tuna, garlic, onion, paris mushrooms and peas. Traditionally this recipe is made with shredded beef jerky or some other meat, I used tuna because of the Mister. Covered those two layers with another layer of cream cheese and more milk cream, and finally mozzarella cheese. Sticked the thing into the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes and meanwhile, did the dishes.
.
Served it with a side salad of iceberg lettuce, roma tomatoes, sliced onions and steam cooked chayotte, spiced with olive oil, lemon and dried parsley.
.
Even the Girl, who is one of the pickiest eaters of all, liked it. But that was probably because I let her help me. Children...
.
And to top it off, a super mega-caloric chocolate and strawberry mousse. Now... I wonder if I spent calories enough while preparing this meal to burn it off. Damn, I've been eating way too much candy.
.
Suddenly, staying in and cooking on a Saturday night makes me feel... old.
*
I baked a big batch of muffins these days, so I'll have a looooong post on its way sometime soon.
*

No comments: